Post doctoral research fellowship at the university of the free state
The University of the Free State (UFS) invites applications from suitably qualified candidates for a postdoctoral fellowship in the Department of Mathematics and Applied Mathematics. Candidates interested in pursuing an academic or professional career in mathematics are encouraged to apply. We are specifically looking for an applicant that is working in functional analysis, preferably with a specialization in operator semigroups, evolution families and evolution equations. The fellowship will enable an outstanding doctoral graduate to obtain experience of research and innovation at a higher education institution under the mentorship of established researchers.The fellowship is awarded on a competitive basis, taking into account the applicants' academic achievements, publication outputs and research potential, as well as the relevance of prior experience and expertise. The fellowship is available for a period of one year, renewable for up to three years subject to satisfactory performance.
- Open to all South African and foreign nationals for full-time research at the University of the Free State.
- Graduated with a PhD degree in a relevant discipline within the last five years.
- A proven track record in research with publications in high quality journals and preferable already some international contacts.
- Successful applicants may not hold full-time salaried employment during the fellowship.
- Successful applicants must be able to relocate to the UFS for the duration of the fellowship. This is a residential fellowship: the successful applicant is required to spend 80% of her/his postdoctoral period at the UFS.
THE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE WILL BE REQUIRED TO:
- Conduct innovative research in the following areas: Evolution equations, operator semigroups, evolution families, perturbation theory, network theory, non-strongly continuous operator semigroups.
- Maintain publishing in high quality journals and present work at national and international conferences.
- The renewal of the fellowship beyond the first year depends on satisfactory performance and the submission of an annual progress report.
- Initiate projects and seek funding for them.
- Contribute to the research productivity of the department and assist in research endeavours, including the organization of workshops and supervision of postgraduate students.
Register and reside as postdoctoral research fellow at the UFS and participate in relevant activities of the School of Postgraduate Studies and the Directorate of Research.
VALUE OF THE FELLOWSHIP
- R 240 000 annual fellowship.
- R 30 000 additional research expenses fund.
To apply, please email the following documentation by 06th of March 2023 to BuddeCJ@ufs.ac.za:
- Motivation letter, including a 1-2 page outline of relevant expertise and experience.
- Full CV including a list of research publications, conference papers and other scholarly output.
- Full transcripts of academic record and copy of doctoral degree certificate.
- Copy of ID document (or copy of passport in the case of foreign applicants).
- Contact details of two academic referees who have taught/supervised the candidate.
Closing date: 6th of March 2023
Commencement of fellowship: 15th of July 2023 or as soon as possible thereafter
For enquiries, please contact Dr. Christian Budde (E-mail: BuddeCJ@ufs.ac.za)